Tuesday, May 15, 2007

We Are Here!

With only an hour of sleep we woke up at 4:30 AM for the airport (Ontario). We flew to Dallas then to Frankfurt (9 1\2 hour flight), which went farely quickly. Then we had to take the train to Eisenach (1 1\2 hours) and catch a taxi van to the house. After about 23 hours of traveling Eric and I made it to our little house in Wutha-Farnroda!

Here is a recap of the past week since we were trying to figure out the computer\internet situation at the house.

May 9th: Eric had to help the taxi driver find Mossbacher Weg (our street) because it is so small... looks more like a bike path! Needless to say we were happy to be at the house since we both had two large suitcases, a carry-on roller, and a back-pack. We tryed to stay awake by playing Rummy and Scrabble, but we fell asleep around 4 PM till 9 PM. Then we took some medicine to try to make us tired again.

May 10th: Jet lag is a bitch.... we are still trying to figure out if we are wide awake or completely exhaused. Our colds followed us here to Deutchland too. Even though it is cold, the hills are so green here and the clouds seem to drift by at a remarkable pace. Eric had to start a fire for us because he was worried that he would find me as an ice cube upstairs in bed. By the way... an ice cube is a very hard thing to find here... since we don't have a freezer.

We went to the grocery store today on our bikes. I really miss my beach cruiser, these bikes are very strange! They just sit up really high? Everything at the grocery store was sold in much smaller portions. It was fun trying to find all the things we wanted to get. Like the cheese... once we found it, we had to figure out what what type of cheese we were buying. I let Eric pick one randomly. Then we packed my back pack full of food and biked back home. I had the eggs in the basket of my bike so I was carefull not to hit many bumps. When we got to our street I was tired. To bad our street is all up hill... a very steep hill! I had to stop 4-5 times to catch my breath, and my lips were turning purple because I was sick.

May 11: We slept all day. Really, we slept all day!

May 12: Today we finally unpacked our clothes. We moved some stuff around to make it all fit, but eventually everthing worked out well. Our clothes are downstairs in the bathroom... we have a bar for our hanging clothes and a couple of drawers for all other clothes. Eric called Sabatian (computer man) to help us get connected to the internet. He said that we can't get DSL here because we are outside the city... he said that in Germany it takes a lot longer (years) to get things like wireless and DSL service available. So we tried to get my computer connected by dial up but the new Mac doesn't even have a phone outlet. Ha! Once Sabatian left we ran into Gerd and Sabine outside and they invited us over for some pizza. Gerd and Sabine are our neighbors... and they are the nicest people ever! Gerd gave us their computer to use since mine didn't work untill Eric's dad arrives on Friday. Sabine gave me some herbs from her garden to help with my cold.

May 13: Eric and I called our Mothers today since it is Mutterstag! I am still very sick so I started taking another round of antibiotics that Mike Levine gave us (thanks Mike). Eric tried to mow the lawn today but was interupted by Gerd. Gerd kindly told Eric that Sunday was a quiet day and that no one works or makes noise for that matter. I really liked that idea and so I slept all day. A storm is starting to roll in tonight. I missed storms while I was in California.

May 14: Eric went to the grocery store for us today. He rode is bike all the way up our street... quite the accomplishment. He is taking good care of his sick fiance... I am starting to feel a little better today. Eric was also able to mow the rest of the lawn today.

Uploading pictures is still a bit of an issue, but here is an arial picture of our place...it is the one in the middle with all of the dirt in the back yard.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

No comments: